Category: Weekly Updates
I've been working on MARDEK 3 all week, and I'm going to continue to do so for the rest of the month, until my trip thing...
I'm going away at the start of October, and I'll be gone for six weeks. After that, I'll seek out sponsorship for MARDEK 3, probably!
I've basically ALMOST FINISHED the game now, apparently! I've been working on the last bits of the plot, like the Final Battle(s) and stuff... There's just one more 'dungeon' of sorts to go (which is considerably smaller than the others and I've already done things like tileset, music, etc; all I need to do is areas now), some plot dialogue, another battle, and then the Epilogue bit that ends the story.
Balancing battles is so annoying! Is a battle that goes on for ten minutes too long, even if it's the 'Final Battle' of sorts? o_O
So anyway, this is really promising and it's making me very motivated about the game! It's so strange to think that after all the time I've worked on it, I'm actually doing the ENDING now...
Unfortunately, though, after the Main Plot of the game is done, there are still a lot of things I need to fix or add. Like:
- Particle effects for some spells and things (shouldn't take too long, but wasn't important enough to focus on yet)
- Animations for some characters that are missing
- The effects of some unusual skills (perhaps)
- General cleaning up of dialogue to improve flow and reduce plot holes
- Some details in areas, like bookcases (I foolishly decided to have two large Libraries in two towns, with like two or three dozen bookshelves in each, so I'll need to fill those up with Lore...)
- Some Optional Events, like one which I've got planned which is a short, silly play! o_O
And most importantly:
- An additional piece of music for a character's Theme (to add to an already long list of character themes in this chapter...)
- The DREAM CIRCLES that I mentioned a while ago. These are special things that, if stepped on, basically transport you into a memory or previous event; basically they're flashbacks. There are some which actually transport you into the figrealm so then you can walk around, but others just transport you to a scene of only dialogue (you can't see WHO is talking and have to figure it out yourself! Mysterious!). I've done the ones that you step into to move to different areas, since they were necessary for the plot, but the 'flashback' ones will be optional and hidden and will provide backstory information for characters (maybe they'd be added to the encyclopaedia when watched?)
- I want to add a lot of SIDE QUESTS. There are probably about a dozen or so dungeons, and I want to have some additional story to each one, where you help out some NPCs or something (optionally). These may take a while... or not, depending on how complex I make the sidequests.
- I want to do another chapter-spanning sidequest equivalent to the Trilobite Keys from Chapter 2, and another Arena Challenge in Cambria (basically the same as Chapter 2's but with different monsters and a different prize).
I should have the main plot finished today or tomorrow, since there's so little left to do, then the game will be 'done'... But I'll focus on it for the next 20 days, making those other adjustments that need to be made to it. I don't know if 20 days is long enough to finish them all, but, uh, let's hope!
I'll not focus on any other projects until I get back from my trip... which should put me into a much better state of mind afterwards anyway.
Also, uh... I'm completely rewriting MARDEK's overarching plot thing!
I've had all eight chapters planned from the start, but they were sort of planned only in a single draft with nothing in the way of refining, and I was basically just making up events as I went along without really thinking of any significance or coherent flow... I'm not exactly a good Writer and would make no claims to be anything of the sort...
While working on Chapter 3, I've decided that the original plot for it just wasn't good enough, since it wasn't interesting, so I've been making significant changes to it, even if I've kept the actual areas that you need to go to the same...
The last four or five chapters are planned sketchily, and lead to a conclusion that wouldn't be very dramatic at all... So instead, I'm trying to change them so that they DO lead to something dramatic and hopefully memorable that hasn't been overdone to death in other RPGs!
I am very disappointed at the reception of Raider 2 in all the places I've seen comments on it... Casual players are morons and give short, useless comments about things they couldn't be bothered to take the time to understand, or complaining about their own ineptitude...
As such, I'm considering the Raider series a lost cause... I might not get the other three sponsored, but I'll try to finish them at least, and perhaps just release them exclusively to this site or something. I'll contact my sponsor and see what their opinion is about this... at some point.
I don't know when I'll work on the next episode, since I'm really sick of Raider at this point.
I just want to finish the series and move onto a game to fill the 'short, easy project' hole that would be more likely to be successful...
So, uh, yes! That's that.
Isn't it exciting that MARDEK 3 is almost finished now?! : D